Friday, April 2, 2021

Happy International tatting day...April Fools

 

So for international tatting day this year I decided to try tatting something I don’t normally do. I have been admiring and enjoying reading Lace-lovin Librarian Dianes blog for quite some time now and seeing all her lovely ice drops so I decided to try making one.  I used her pattern that she so graciously provided here but I did change the count on the outer chains. I also watched this youtube video. Warning..this video is really long and not very well done but it gave me enough of an idea to figure out how to do this.




 I had actually tried making one a couple years ago and since I usually use cheap artiste thread that is bigger than size 20, I couldn’t find a stone big enough to fill the center of the first one I made using Dianes pattern. I am not very good with adjusting stitch count, so I didn’t try to make another one until today. I remembered that I had some shuttles still wound with the size 20 thread I had bought to make St patricks doodads and didn’t end up using so I thought this would be a good way to use up the thread.

So this time I had a very difficult time trying to squeeze in the flat marbles I have. I learned that I tend to tat very tightly and I make little tiny joining picots. I have tons of flat stones and even using the smalles one I could find I still had to pull and tug to try to get the last ring to fit. In fact, I am totally testing the tensile strength of this thread and at this point I am sure hoping the thread holds and doesn’t snap loose cause someone could sure loose an eye!

The good news is these are pretty fun to make so I think I will be trying to make more of them. More good news is I have already sent out my Easter doodads in plenty of time for everyone to receive them on time…APRIL FOOLS!!! I still haven’t even made the cards for them yet . I am feeling really stupid about that be cause the doodads have been done for over 2 years now and they still aren’t in the mail yet. At this point there is no way that they will make them on time so I am not sure I will even bother sending them out again!

Sorry I didnt get this posted on the actual tatting day but we had a surprise guest show up yesteray. One of my husbands best friends was in town and he needed to borrow some guitars for a show he is getting to do in eastern Washington. It is always so awesome to get to hang out with him as he always has new music to share! So all in all it was a pretty good day and since those are very few and far between it makes them all the sweeter!  I hope you all enjoyed the  day as much as I did and heres to hoping more good days are to come!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment